Thursday, May 27, 2010

Abandon all hope

Nobody who works in advertising can avoid it: the shitty jobs. The jobs that are not creative, aren't fun to do and often makes shitloads of money for the agency. The last reason is why agencies put up with clients who give these shitty jobs. Every agency has them, no matter how creative. I did a terrible job for Saatchi New York, I made loads of awful work for Duval Guillaume and within 2 months I've already made something bad at Lemz.

There's a common misconception that, if you are in the right agency and a more creative agency, you'll get better briefings. Yes, some agencies tell that they only have good briefs, but they are lying. But surely, the briefings get better when you become senior? Nope, if you have more experience you only get bigger shitty jobs.

I think you shouldn't hope too much as a creative team. The job you have now is your biggest opportunity. If you're not satisfied with that, you can always make the work you want on the side. No time? That's an excuse and it's not a really good one if you really want to achieve something.

Everybody congratulated us about that particular job that Luiz and I did. The client was really happy. This already gives me a feeling of satisfaction; the knowledge that we got the most out of an impossible mission. But somewhere in the back of my head there was a little voice that whispered: "you're a fucking sellout", and then I went back to work again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home