Monday, July 27, 2009

Sfinks festival



Cambodjan actrobats at the Sfinks festival

Belgium is a funny little country. In the winter there's absolutely nothing to do. But in the summer there seems to be an explosion of festivals, events, activities and exhibitions. There's so much to do that I can go to a festival every day if I want. But of course that would be impossible to combine with a more than full time job in advertising.

So I have to make a choice. Last weekend I went to the Dour festival. This weekend I went to the Sfinks festival in Boechhout, a world music festival. My girlfriend asked me if I'd like to work as a volunteer there. I first doubted a bit because I'm not a real big fan of world music. But then I thought: why not? It's always good to experience something different.

And different it was. I've never seen so much rastafari, treehuggers, shamen, new agers, new wavers, hippies, buddhists, children, bongo drummers, flute players, potheads, nomads, artists and wannabe witches together. But there was also quite a number of people who didn't fit the cliché world music profile and who just came there out of curiousity. Anyway, if the concerts weren't interesting enough, the people certainly were. Because I had to do volunteer work I didn't see a lot of music, but I loved the closing act Peter Nalitch and friends.

It was great, but I'm done with festivals for the moment. Next weekend I'll stay in Antwerp for the first time this month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home