Friday, September 21, 2007


Me standing on my hands at Saatchi

...I'm leaving today. Today at 17:00 my airplane leaves from Newark and I'll arrive at Schiphol airport in Amsterdam at 7:00 in the morning. I had a great time in New York and a lot happened. Some would say 2,5 months in New York is undescribable. But I'm a copywriter, so the least I can do is try.

The highlights and surprises of this quarter in New York: seeing the skyline from New York from the airplane, sitting in the taxi that's driving over Queensborough bridge, living with 11 students in one house and not having one argument in 2,5 months, screaming people on the street, the concert of Cansei de Ser Sexy on my birthday, Brooklyn, the people cruising in cars while playing hip-hop in Brooklyn, PBR (the cheapest beer in New York, ask for it in clubs), going to a party and finding out that in the back there's a group of art students making drawings of half naked women, Saatchi and Saatchi, Icaro Doria who helped us improving our work, Menno, Julia, Leo, Michael, Jan and all the other people who helped us improving our work, my collegues José (a.k.a. the Brazillian Pavarotti) and Rodriquo (a.k.a. the Brazillian Stallion), Manhattan, the skyline by night in Manhattan (see above), subway stations full of people at midnight, playing basketball in the park, the running track around the top of the Saatchi building with the view on Manhattan, the view on Manhattan, the transformer explosion at Grand Central, satiric newspaper The Onion, every day ultimate fight on television, comedy series Flight of the Conchords, the hilarious copy on packages, my good friend Salvatore who did an internship at Duval Guillaume, a meal for 5 dollar including a drink at the Chinese restaurant one street away from my work (you have to order fast there or else the Chinese lady at the counter starts screaming at you), the concert of Stereo Total to which we came way too late so we saw only 20 minutes, Central Park, the ferry to Staten Island, seeing Presenter of America's funniest home video's Bob Saget for the first time being funny in a great stand up comedy show, the beautiful lights at Time Square by night and last but not least working with my art director Julien.

I probably forgot even half of it, but that's because I don't have a lot of time. Which is a lame excuse for a copywriter, I know. But I'm going to pack my suitcase right now and leave the "city of dreams". They say it's the city that never sleeps. But that's not true. New York is the city you never wake up from.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home