Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Good day, bad day


Team Julien-Robin in the New York underground

This day sucks. Yesterday ruled. Yesterday Julien and I had one good concept after the other and we couldnĀ“t figure out why. All the odds of having a good concepting-day were against us. We slept too little, didn't eat very well and it was Monday. Today was a bad day for concepts. Todya the words "shit" and "eeeeehhh..." occasionally interrupted the painful silence. During these moments your teammate is often the person that can drag you over the mental numbness. But today when I saw Julien staring emotionless to nowhere in particular I thought: "Oh no! His brain isn't working either".

I guess some days are better than others. But I rarely had two days after another where the difference was this extreme. The weirdest thing is: you can never tell in advance when you'll have a bad day or a good day. Every is like a big lottery and today I lost.

Copywriter Luke Sullivan says in his book 'Hey Whipple Squeeze This' that sometimes he and his teammate are staring at the ceiling for days in a row. So I guess one bad day is not a complete disaster. And overall we're still going in the right direction. I work with the right art-director, am in the right agency and get guidance from the best creatives in the world. There's no doubt in my mind that this quarter we're going to make our best work ever. We just don't know on which day yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home