Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Brussels/Bruxelles/Brussel


The view from the balcony at Duval Guillaume

I expected this week to be a rollercoaster. And a rollercoaster it has been. From Sunday till Monday I was celebrating the new year, ending at an afterparty at somebody's house (all the clubs were already closed). I had a great time, but I had to leave earlier than the rest because I had to go to Brussels the next day.

Although I was really exhausted that day, the beautiful lights of Brussels and the high buildings didn't fail to impress me and I felt a rush of adrenaline that woke me up immediately. For the coming three months, this beautiful city was going to be my new home. There's even a carnival with a big giant wheel in the neighborhood, which reminded me of permanent carnival-neighborhood St. Pauli, Hamburg.

That night I didn't sleep very much. I was a combination of excitement for my new internship and the police sirens that go on all night here. On top of that, there was a 'Rosemary's baby' in the appartment below that cried regularily.

But the next day I woke up early, picked up my new art-director Daniel from the trainstation, and went to Duval Guillaume for my first day. We introduced ourselves to some people there and went immediately to work on an assignment for a well known non-alcoholic drinks brand.

Brussels is a unique city. It's unique in a way that everybody here speaks either Flemish (which is almost like Dutch) or French. And although I speak both languages, the first thing you have to find out is who speaks what (!). With Daniel I speak English, so I have to switch between three languages constantly. It's good to improve my French, but I have to get used to it a little.

These coming weeks I'm going to explore a lot of this beautiful city. I'm sure I'm going to have a great time here. Expect a lot of posts about the agency Duval Guillaume, where a lot of brilliant work is made and where me and Daniel are going to work very hard to keep up with the high standard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home