Saturday, November 18, 2006

Just do it


Me starring as the iPod man Posted by Picasa

In this school you learn not to think about the work that´s ahead. You learn do do it immediately. This week me and my art-directors made a lot of executions. There's finally some progress. If everybody works on in this speed, we might have an easy going face to face week for a change.

One seemingly difficult project was the execution of a TV commercial. The film is a spoof on the famous iPod commercials with the dancing silhouette. Normally I truly hate everything that even smells like a spoof, but so many people liked the idea that I gave it the benefit of the doubt.

But now we had to execute it. It seemed difficult because of the graphical style of the commercial. At first everybody thought it would be better to draw a storyboard first. I said that drawing a storyboard would cost just as much time as shooting the whole thing. This is what I mean with 'making stuff immediately'. Whenever you have to do something that is new, like making a commercial, somehow your brain works against you. You want to think it over first. 'Isn't it too much work? What if I first make an example in Photoshop?'

By now I learned to recognize that feeling and to step over it. So after I said "come on, let's just do it", I immediately went to the warehouse to buy black gloves, a cap and stockings for over my head (by the way, this is not the first time I had to buy women's stockings for an execution. See the Bild campaign. The women at the cashier probably recognizes me by now). After dressing up I walked through the school as a living silhouette and in the studio I had to dance in front of the camera. I was sweating like hell afterwards, but it was really cool to do and in the end it really looked like an iPod commercial.

And everybody in the group was glad we made the commercial. This project is one of the things that you should never postpone. In Germany there's a saying for postponing things: 'morgen, morgen und nicht heute, sagen alle faule leute'. It means something like 'if you always want to do stuff tomorrow instead of today, you're a lazy ass'. Well, I guess it's easy to fall into the trap of laziness. The only thing you can do about it is just doing all the work right away. Even if it seems crazy at first.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

je bent wat je doet, niet wat je denkt dat je gaat doen. Doen. Daarom is de naam van een bureau uit Nieuw-Zeeland zo fijn: the Minsitry of Doing.

Ge

7:51 pm  
Blogger Robin Stam said...

Haha, helemaal mee eens. En er zijn ook mensen die zijn wat ze ooit hebben gedaan (vooral in de reclame ;-)

9:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home